XL free shirt -> tank top and striped dress

I was at a conference and a company was giving out free shirts (yay more shirts!)  I knew I wouldn't wear this shirt normally, so I asked for a XL, to which I received bewildered looks.  XL means more fabric though!  Which means I got two garments for one!  This time the huge shirt got turned into a workout tank and a striped dress.

The Before and After

I tried to make this a tutorial but then I got lazy... For the tank top, I just hacked off the sleeves from the underarm, tracing to the neckline and took about an inch and a half off of each side of the shirt.  I also cut about a foot off the bottom of the shirt.  Then, turn the shirt inside out and sew up the sides. Not too complicated.

The skirt, on the other hand, was an ordeal.  Using the leftover fabric from the sleeves and the bottom of the shirt, I hacked them together to create this skirt.  I was really lucky in that the sleeves coincided to be just about the diameter of my hips.   I messed up though and had to use a seam ripper twice because I didn't measure the diameters of the tubes and had extra fabric hanging off.  Note to self: measure things, it'll make life easier in the end.  I'm pretty pleased out it came out though- adding the blazer really classes it up I think.
 


Comments

Popular Posts