Leftover fabric -> clutch

I had a strip of leftover fabric from a pillow that I reupholstered.  The other day I passed up on cheap Vera Bradley clutches at a garage sale and immediately regretted it.  What better way to make up for my buyer's regret than to make a clutch from my leftover fabric?

Also this is officially my first tutorial, we'll see how it goes...

I double layered the fabric to provide more reinforcement, and then cut a triangle.


Fold over the creases on the triangle and sew the edges.

Make sure it's turned inside out and sew the edges to create the bag/pocket part.

Turn it inside out to make sure it looks ok!

Sew the edges over on the triangular flap.

Now it's time to make the wrist strap.  Taking a rectangular strip of fabric, fold it over and sew.  I did this kind of sloppily and not the correct way (you should iron it first, then sew it in), but I'm lazy and don't like ironing.  Turn the bag inside out and sew the strap in.  To make sure it's secure, I sewed it over 5 or 6 times.
 


Yayy almost done!  Now to the button... the scary part.  I've never done a button before, so I practiced on a scrap piece of fabric several times (11, to be precise, with lots of failures in between).  Once I felt confident enough, I did the bag and ... phew, it turned out well! (if maybe a little off center)

Use the seam ripper to create the hole and make sure it fits the button.

Mark the place where the button should be and hand sew the button in.

Yay, the finished product!



Comments

Popular Posts