Wrinkly gray t-shirt -> ruffled pencil skirt

At career fairs, Oracle would give out these t-shirts that were compactly folded into this tight square, causing it to be very very wrinkly.  I'm sure a good wash or iron would remove these wrinkles.  On the other hand, these wrinkles looked kind of cool, similar to those purposely wrinkled ruffled expensive material you could buy.  Also, for a t-shirt, the color was... meh.  So I decided to make it into a pencil skirt!


The excellent part is that the material was stretchy.  I cut off the sleeves, and then little by little sewed in the edges until I got a perfect fit.  I cut up the extra material to make a sash, tied that over the waist, and then rolled the waistband over it.  And tah dah! Ruffled pencil skirt, perfect for your formal/party occasion.

**Update: So I went salsa dancing in this skirt, and at the end of dancing, the shirt was not so ruffled anymore... and was kind of falling down... chalk it up to lazy workmanship.  To compensate, I actually finished it off this time, by folding over the top and sewing it to create a band.  I then picked up some 25 cent lace ribbon that I found from the strip district and wrapped it around twice to accentuate the band.  As sad as I am that the ruffled look didn't quite work out, I do really like the lace and it looks a lot more polished now!

Comments

Popular Posts