The start of the sewing obsession

Every year, they would give every intern a XL t-shirt as a welcome to the company.  The problem? It was XL.  Even as a night shirt it was overwhelming.  So, one evening, my roommates and I decided we were going to cut up the shirts, add pockets, and make it into a cute dress.  And that was the start of my sewing obsession...

 Apple class of 2011 XL t-shirt made into a dress with pockets

Apple WWDC XL t-shirt -> dress with pockets

All of these were hand sewn and fairly easy.  Cut off the sleeves and sew it in to fit your arms and bust.   Trim off the neckline to your desired height.  For the pockets, I like to try it on, belt it, and then mark approximately where I want the pockets to fall.  From that point, cut a slit.  Now, with the extra material from the sleeves, cut triangles the same size as the slit of the pockets.  Use your needle and thread magic to sew the pockets in. 

Without the pockets, the amount of sewing is fairly minimal.  The belt really helps to create the nice cinch without any effort on your part.

Also, I'd like to add that I had never really sewn anything before.  I was also sewing by hand, which was pain.  I did a shoddy job, but you can never tell.  Perhaps incentive that it's really not that hard and you can do it too?  Finally pro-tip: if you're lazy like me and don't like to measure, I like to constantly try on the garment to make sure it fits and drapes the way I want it to.  That way I can possibly get the most optimal fit. 

Comments

Popular Posts