Woken lace t-shirt upcycle


I had this old XXL shirt left over from college that was collecting dust in my drawer.  I was inspired by trashtocouture's t-shirt weave, but instead I really wanted to try lace instead since I had collected these gorgeous rolls of 50 cent lace :)

First, I flipped the shirt inside out and did the traditional cuts to the t-shirt, aka cut off the neckline and the sleeves.  Then, since I had flipped the shirt inside out, I cut the shirt into two (aka front and back) and re-sewed it so that you can't see any of the hems.  Also, since I wanted a lace weave, I wanted the shirt to be a little more put together, so I actually hemmed the neckline and sleeves.

At this point, I had a simple, fitted black shirt- now to the lace!  If I had more foresight and planned ahead, I would've not sewn up one sleeve and the opposite side of the shirt under the underarm (this is where we'll stick the lace in).  So, instead I had to use a seam ripper and undo the work I had done before :(  Then, I laid out the approximate design I wanted and then cut out slits, about an inch wide from the t-shirt, one lace strip at a time.  You start with one edge of the lace sewn to the top shoulder, weave it in and out of your cut t-shirt and then sew it the opposite bottom edge under your underarm. Rinse and repeat.

So the final result was not actually what I thought it was going to look like... sometimes, it can look a little like a storm trooper sash.  However, I still kind of like it- woven t-shirts are often done with old t-shirts and can look a little like you're going to an EDM concert, so I would say my attempt at this classier weave was an interesting experiment.

Comments

Popular Posts