DIY IKEA Hack- Poang Chair Cover


I was digging through Ikea's "as-is" section one day and stumbled upon this Karlstad chair cover for only $2.10.  My next stop was Joann fabrics, with the intent of buying fabric to cover up this old Ikea poang that we found for cheap on craigslist.  Its off-white stained cover was a reminder of its older life. However, once I saw the Karlstad cover in a color that also happens to match my apartment colors, I knew it would be perfect.  And for only $2, how can you pass up that offer? 


My first step was to assess the size of the karlstad cover and see how it would fit around the poang.  On the left is the karlstad cover and on the right is the poang on top of the single big slip, so there was more than enough fabric!  Excellent how that worked out.  The padding in the chair for the poang is kind of sad and wasn't the most comfortable, so I decided to stuff the extra karlstad slipcovers into the bottom of the cushion, so that our butts actually like sitting in the chair.
 

Finally, there was the dilemma of how to deal with the extra fabric.  I considered sewing it, but the fabric is really thick, and sewing it seemed really permanent (ie never gonna be able to wash it), so I decided just to fold over the edges and safety pin it.  Yay no sewing!


And below is the final result!  A way more comfortable chair with a new aparment-color matching cover.  Buying material for this probably would've been at least $10 and required sewing, but this was only $2!



Comments

Popular Posts