XL free t-shirt -> color blocked geometric long sleeve



From the conference I attended, I was lucky enough to get two of these free t-shirts from SideFX. While I appreciate getting free shirts, it's not a shirt that I would wear in every day life.   One of the other shirts I made into a skirt and a work out shirt that you can see here!  Also, I'm not a huge fan of the sporty logos unless the sporty logos represent an *actual* sports team.

For this piece, I was inspired by this shirt that I saw on Fashion Star- I especially like the geometric blocking on the side.  Having the dark colors on the side really adds a slimming effect.



My plan was to cut fabric from the sleeves and the sides and do a little switcheroo.  First, cut the top parts of the sleeve in an roundish fashion (along the pink lines in the diagram).  Then cut the sides of the shirt also along the pink dotted lines.  Now, replace the yellow shaded parts of the white shirt with the teal black parts of the sleeves.



I took pictures of the intermediate result.  As you can tell, it definitely still doesn't look that great and sticks out awkwardly in weird places.  Also, the logos on the front and back look out of place.  In addition, the sleeves still need shaping.  To do the sleeves, I took the about an inch from the end of the sleeves, gathered it together and sewed over the gather to create the ruched look.  In the end, I also cut off the collar because I hate it when clothes constrict my neck.



Now, time to replace the logo.  Luckily, I had black t-shirt sleeves left over from another t-shirt refashioning, so I used this black fabric to to replace the logos.  I cut a rectangular square around the logo in the front and the back.  I cut the rectangle the length of the whole chest so I could fix the weird fit.  Laying the shirt flat, I cut a rectangle out of each sleeve and laid it across the hole to make sure it would fit.  Because I'm lazy and don't like to measure, I learned that I can get around this by laying the whole shirt flat and making sure all the lines match.  It's definitely the sloppier way and I'm sure you can tell, but oh well, I did this in three hours so what do you expect :)


Yay, the finished product!  The geometric blocking is sometimes not so perfectly block-ish (aka I did a sloppy job of measuring and sewing), but I'm willing to overlook that fact since now this shirt is more wearable!







Comments

Popular Posts